Call for Submissions
Conference: Experiencing Architecture - Experiencing the City
Researchers, creators, architects, designers, artists, curators, and educators are invited to submit a proposal for the April 2020 Urbanism and Architecture Conference in Tel Aviv-Yafo and Jerusalem. The conference will include meetings and discussions, cooperative workshops, and presentation of ideas and projects.
A city is a merger of thought and action. A physical space worthy of appreciation and consideration, where one can learn and experiment: urban behavior and activity are integral to the lifelong process of learning. The conference focuses on perceptions of urban environments, and how city dwellers process and react to them, creating a place for public discussion about the ways we influence and are influenced by the city through studying its physical and conceptual structure.
We will present and develop concepts of platforms engaging with the intrinsic learning space of a city, and discuss the potential of spatial studies – urbanism, architecture, and design - to influence various aspects of urban thought in formal and informal education frameworks, including museums and cultural institutions. The conference will also offer a place to share knowledge, discuss cultural-artistic references to the daily experience of living in the city, and examine physical and poetic design practices - architecture, design, art, literature, cinema, poetry - from an aesthetic-political perspective.
We seek proposals for lectures, presentation of research papers and essays, workshops, education programs, projects, and works of art and design related to the following:
- Educational approaches and programs dedicated to the city.
- Museums and cultural institutions as spaces for urban thought.
- Urban activism and knowledge-sharing platforms for communities and residents.
- Discussing body and space in design and architecture.
- Architecture engaged with daily life in the city and the public space.
- Site-specific art and its relationship with architecture.
- New placemaking approaches.
- Mapping and orientation, and designing practices and tools to explore the city.